Operates all day almost all year with a restricted schedule in winter. Times as advertised. Single fares only.
Adults: £1.60 Children: 70p. Dogs and bicycles are free.
Contact – M: 07896 711822
The ferry crossing can be traced back to 1296, but is probably much older.
Black and white “gunports” were added after the Napoleonic War in the early 1800s to make the ferry look like a fearsome man o’ war. Ferries were rowed across the river until the first two motor boats were built in 1907/08.
The service was owned by the Shaldon Bridge Co. Until the Council took it over in the 1950s.
It is now privately run with two boats, Ferry No.4 (built 1946) and Ferry No. 5 (built approx 1973).
Learn more at the Teignmouth and Shaldon Museum by Teignmouth railway station.